- Until further notice, all Communication Support Services consultations, discussions, and workshops will be delivered online using Zoom. A user guide on Zoom can be found here.
- Feedback will not be given to students who fail to attend their booked consultation on Zoom.
- CSS services are for students of UGC-funded programs only. If you are a student of a self-funded program (e.g., a taught masters program), CSS is not able to serve you.
- You can book two 1:1 CSS consultation sessions per week.
- You must use your OWN University ID to book any service.
- For all 1:1 consultations, please put a Zoom meeting ID, password (if any) and Zoom URL in the “goals” box on the slot page for the booking. You can use your Zoom personal ID, or one created specifically for your consultation.
- On the day of the consultation, log in to Zoom and start the meeting. Your consultant cannot join you if you do not start the meeting on your side.
- You MUST turn on your camera at the start of the consultation, and then show your face, along with your HKU ID card, so that the consultant can verify that you are the person who has booked the slot. If your computer does not have a webcam, use the one on your mobile phone to start the consultation. Please understand that we require this to ensure that non-HKU people, as well as non-UGC-funded students, cannot dishonestly use our UGC-funded service. IF YOU DO NOT SHOW YOUR FACE AND HKU ID CARD AT THE START OF THE CONSULTATION, THE CONSULTATION WILL NOT BE GIVEN. **If your student ID is not yet ready, you can use your HKID, National ID, etc.
- For workshops/discussions, the booking system will show a Zoom meeting ID and URL a few minutes before the scheduled start time. Click into your booked workshop/ discussion (the slot in yellow), and you’ll see the meeting details. Zoom meeting details are not visible unless you book the session.
- For professional development and quality enhancement purposes, a consultant may be joined by another consultant or supervisor during a 1:1 session. Just the same as the consultant you have booked, a second consultant or supervisor is there to help you, and will respect the confidentiality of your work.
- For General Language Advising (GLA) consultations, your advisor will contact you regarding meeting arrangements via Zoom.
Uploading Your Work – Writing Centre Consultations:
- For Writing Centre consultations, please directly upload to the booking system any doc files containing your work. No PDFs for your written work, please. You can also upload assignment instructions, and/or readings that you would like to discuss with your consultant (maximum file size 10MB). Do this by dragging the files into the upload box, and make sure to click the “upload” button.
- Upload files at least two days prior to the consultation.
- If upload is late, your consultant may need to use some of the consultation time to go through your work, and the consultation will be less productive.
- Use the “My Consultation Goals” box to tell your consultant what you want to work on in the consultation, as well as any other information that your consultant might need to know. Please no links to Google Docs.
Sharing Your Work – Speaking Studio and Digital Literacy Lab:
- Use the “My Consultation Goals” box to tell your consultant what you want to work on in the consultation, and to share a link to any online files you want your consultant to look at (if any) before the consultation; please make sure your sharing settings are set to ‘everyone’.
- Share links to your file(s) at least two days prior to the consultation.
- If you share links late, your consultant may need to use some of the consultation time to go through your work, and the consultation will be less productive.
- You may cancel a booked session not less than 24 hours in advance. To cancel 24+ hours in advance, click on your booking and then click the “Cancel this booking” button when it appears.
- Email cancellations are NOT accepted.
- * If you fail to attend ANY TWO CSS bookings for consultations and/or discussion groups/workshops without a valid, documented excuse, you will be barred from booking any session for the rest of the semester.
- * Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel a session due to unforeseen circumstances such as illness of the tutor. In such cases, you may book any other open time slot. Unfortunately we are UNABLE to provide make-up sessions when this occurs. We apologise for this and thank you for your understanding.
* Please refer to your booking confirmation email if you need more details.